Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 8: Teaching Relief Society

In late October 2011, I was asked to be the 1st counselor in my ward's (San Diego 12th) Relief Society.  I was very apprehensive since I just moved into the ward in August, but I've always been taught to accept whatever callings are offered.  Since my call, I've had the blessing to teach 2 lessons to the Relief Society sisters, so today I am thankful for teaching Relief Society.

I've always had a fear of talking in front of large groups.  I always cry and make myself sick from all the worrying.  My last calling was teaching 6 young women (ages 12-18), which was a mixed blessing.  I learned a lot about the gospel from the lessons I prepared, but getting young women to talk is sometimes like pulling teeth.  Teaching Relief Society is very different because there are women 18-90 years old with lifetimes of different experiences and most of them aren't afraid to share :)

Today's lesson was "Living What We Believe" from the George Albert Smith manual.  When George Albert Smith was 34 years old, he made a list of resolutions called his “personal creed”—11 ideals he committed to live by:

1.   Be a friend to the friendless; find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor
2.   Visit the sick and afflicted; inspire a desire for faith to be healed
3.   Teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of all mankind
4.   Seek out the erring one and try to win him back to a righteous and a happy life
5.   Not seek to force people to live up to my ideals, but rather love them into doing the right thing
6.  Live with the masses; help solve their problems, so life may be happy
7.   Avoid the publicity of high positions and discourage the flattery of thoughtless friends
8.  Not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do good and make him my friend
9.  Overcome selfishness and jealousy; rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father
10. Not be an enemy to any living soul
11.  Know the Redeemer of mankind has offered to the world the only plan that will fully develop us and make us really happy here and hereafter, I feel it not only a duty but also a blessed privilege to disseminate this truth
If I could live the above ideals, my life would be pretty happy, but I know I am there yet.  Preparing for the lesson really made me think about how I am living the gospel in my daily life.  Some gospel principles come really easy to me...tithing, family, prayer, temples, etc. While other items are personal trials and I need to gain a stronger testimony, so they aren't as diffcult for me.  I do want to be known as different from my neighbor for all the good things I am accomplishing.  Being middle of the road isn't good enough.  In the coming weeks, I am going to think about my own life ideals and what it will take to live them. 

No comments: