Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 25: Heating Pads

Heating Pads are a necessity at my house.  I've suffered from migraines since I was 8 years old.  My migraines trigger back and neck pain.  I take over-the-counter and prescription medicine to combat my headaches, but that medicine doesn't always help right away (if it helps at all...sleep is actually one of the best medicines for me).  Years ago, I learned heating pads ease the tension in my head and neck when I have a headache.  I think heat helps keep my mind on something other than the headache (plus I love being warm).  I usually use  herbal heating pads with rice or grains that heat up easily in the microwave (2-3 minutes).  I also have chemical heating pads (you pop a little disk and the liquid becomes a hard gel) that stay warm for about an hour, but you can't reheat them easily (they turn back into liquid by boiling them in hot water).  Every few years, I buy new heating pads at the San Diego County Fair (great deals). I also love massages using heating pads...it relaxes me so much.

Today was a really long day at work (11 hours, including a manager's meeting).  I was feeling good until I started driving home.  I decided to eat something and lay down, but my headache kept getting worse.  Around 8PM, I took some of my prescription medicine (I use Imitrex because it works for me, but I try not to take it often since it makes me really tired) and heated up a heating pad.  I felt really sick, but just having the heating pad on my head makes me feel like my headache is getting better. 

Apparently, I could also use my heating pad during Yoga...




1 comment:

Barbie Magoffin said...

Dude, I want one of those.