Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28: Mini-Vacations

Until I was in high school, I went to a year around school.  Year around schools are schools where classes met year around.  Ashley and I started each school year in June, 10 weeks of class, 3 week break in September, 10 weeks of class, 4 week break in December (basically the whole month off), 10 weeks of school, 3 week break in March, 9 weeks of class, then 3 weeks off before the next school year began.  What does all  this have to do with mini-vacations?

My family took mini-vacations during every break (except in June because too many other kids were off school at the same time).  Mini vacations were great as kids...usually 2-4 days in length, not too much time in the car, and we saw/experienced some really cool stuff.  As a kid, we had adventures at amusement parks (Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm), went camping (Grand Canyon, Yosemite), visited family (hello, Blythe!!!), took in local scenery, and sometimes just hung out around town, but pretended we were tourists. 

As an adult, I've grown to love mini-vacations.  Short vacations allow me to take only a couple days off work, but still have the feel of getting away from the world.  In the past few years, I've been to Las Vegas (girl's weekend, anyone?), Seattle (Barbie, let's go back!!!), Utah, and this weekend, I'm in lovely San Francisco visiting the Murphy's. 

My best friend, Meghan, and her husband, Dave (also a good friend), had Liam Micheal, in October 2011.  An opportunity to visit sooner was nonexistent, so a couple months ago, I found a cheap flight on Southwest and booked a ticket.  I love visiting the Murphy's because it's guaranteed to be a nice relaxing weekend.  It's a pretty quick trip...only today through Monday night, but I know I will be less stressed when I go home than when I arrived.  I love talking to Meghan in person about everything in my life and getting her perspective.  Thanks to the Murphy's for faciliating a great start to another fabulous mini-vacation.

1 comment:

Barbie Magoffin said...

Haha, I'm totally referencing Seattle in my blog today!