Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 23: Facetime

When Monroe was born, I was very much a part of the experience (Thanks again Ashley...I love being part of Monroe's life).  I was at the ultrasound where Ash and Stu found out they were having a girl, in the delivery room for the birth, spent a lot of time with Ash and Stu after the birth, and really bonded with Monroe. 

Little Boyd wasn't a surprise, so I knew I wouldn't be able to be able to be at the birth or meet him immediately, but my head and my heart were saying conflicting things.  My head was saying "You have a plan to meet him on 8 March (airline ticket booked and paid for) and you get to spend 11 days with him.  That's soon enough."  My heart was saying "Book yourself on the next flight to Dallas and see the little guy."  Needless to say, my head won out and I have been in San Diego the past few days waiting for pictures to arrive and Ashley to get home from the hospital with the little bundle of joy.  Officially, I haven't even seen Boyd, except in pictures, so I was excited to do a little video chatting with Ashley and the family tonight. 

First, I had the opportunity to do a little IPhone Facetime with Monroe (my favorite niece...my only niece, but still my favorite :)).  She was taking a bath and told me all about her day.  It was so great to see and interact with her in a way not possible a few years ago.  As Monroe gets older, Ash and I use Facetime more and more because Roe likes to interact with me on the phone.  She enjoys showing me her clothes, toys, and whatever else tickles her fancy at the moment. 

Then, I got to meet Boyd for the first time.  He had just peed all over his outfit, so he was only in a diaper...so adorable with all the rolls.  Boyd has a head full of dark hair and the chubbiest cheeks I've seen in a while. He wasn't too happy to be on display, but I think he'll get used to talking to me over the phone or computer (at least I hope so).  Ashley thinks he looks a lot like Roe when she was born, but I think he's distinctly himself.  I can't wait to see who he looks like.

No comments: