Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 11: Monthly BUNCO

As a single female, I like to stay busy and make new friends by joining different groups around town (like Book Clubs).  Today I am thankful for one of my favorites…my monthly BUNCO group.  Founded in 2008, my girls-only BUNCO group grew from girls who played BINGO together in another group (at least that is how I was brought into the group; others are family members, soccer moms, school friends, etc).  I’ve grown to love every one of the girls because they are each individuals with their own talents and quirks.  We have 11 standard members (Amber, Andrea B, Andrea L, Beth, Heather, Melissa, Roberta, Sonja, Stacey, Toni, and myself) with the option to bring a substitute each month.

For those of you who don't know what BUNCO is...take a look at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunco (Wikipedia can explain it a lot better than I can).  Basically, it's a game with 3 dice played in multiple rounds. 

My BUNCO group rotates homes the second Wednesday of every month (we create the calendar every December).  We each pay $10 a month (except January, when we pay $20, and December, when we don’t actually play). The hostess provides dinner, dessert, and snacks for the girls, then we play 24 BUNCO rounds (6:30-9:00PM).  Each month, I track most Buncos, wins, etc and give out monetary prizes ($5-$40).  At the end of the year, I add up all the statistics from the year and give out whatever extra money is in the pot (usually around $150).  Every June, we hold a Birthday party with gift exchange (White Elephant, but classy gifts).  In December, we have a Holiday Potluck (with a theme…potato bar, cheese, etc), ornament exchange, and holiday gift exchange (in November, we pick names out of a hat and buy for a specific person).  We always have a really good time talking and laughing throughout the night.  If you would like to join us at any time, let me know.
P.S.  I am also really thankful for the opportunity to see friends in random places (I loved seeing Chad and Heather Spring at Panera Bread tonight!!!!).

No comments: