Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 32: Connecting with Old Friends

Keeping in contact with friends and family is not a strong suit. I've never been good at writing letters, emails, making phone calls (I don't really like talking on the phone much), facebooking, texting, etc. Years ago, when I graduated from high school (1998 was a long time ago!!!), e-mail and cell phones weren't ordinary items yet, so I lost touch with most of my high school friends (and even more so my middle school and elementary school friends). 

In 2007, I gave into peer pressure and created a Facebook account.  My first major experience connecting with old friends happened a few years later.  In December 2009, I received a friend request from Kim, one my good friends in high school.  I was really excited to see the request  and wrote her a message immediately. We started catching up over Facebook, but both of us wanted to catch up in person. With the holidays, vacations, work, family, church, and just life in general, we weren't able to get together until March 2010.  It was so great to connect with her again and just like old times.  Now, I see Kim about once a month (and usually talk to her more than that over text) at Book Club.

Last Saturday, my friend Lisa got engaged and posted a picture on Facebook.  I was reviewing what everyone was saying to her and about to add my Congratulations when I saw a familiar name and face...Teresa Carmody.  In middle school, Teresa and I were good friends, but we lost contact when her family moved to Utah.  I didn't know if it was the same Teresa Carmody I knew, but I wrote her a message anyway.  A couple of hours later I received a response and a friend request...it was the same girl.  It turns out Lisa and Teresa were roommates at BYU, isn't it such a small world?  Teresa and I have been sending messages back and forth getting to know each other again and it's been really cool. 

No comments: