Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 41: Las Quatro Milpas

As a San Diego native, I grew up on hole-in-the-wall Mexican food.  Usually, we ate at places near our house (Spring Valley and National City), but we also ate outside our comfort zone.  One day, my dad came home from work (while he was in the Navy) raving about a place in the Barrio called Las Quatro Milpas, or as we call it Milpas.  Milpas is off Cesar Chavez Blvd between downtown San Diego and the Coronado Bay Bridge.  It's only open 11am-2pm because the neighborhood is so bad.  It's always packed with military, police, fireman, and persons of Mexican descent (which sounds bad, but that's how you know it's good!).  My family has been eating there for over 20 years.

Today, I took my coworker, Eddie, to Milpas for his first time.  Eddie offered to help me buy our Walt Disney World tickets on 32nd St ($135 for a 4 day park hopper...a great deal, we saved over $840), so I decided to take him to lunch (Milpas is on the way). My dad could have bought them in Texas, but it's a two hour drive, so I volunteered to buy them through one of my many retired Navy friends.  

If you want to try Milpas, head down there around 11am, otherwise the line can get a little long.  I always order five rolled tacos with no lettuce (sour cream, salsa, and cheese included) and a Diet Pepsi, while Eddie chose two chicken tacos, a Chorizo,  Beans, and Rice bowl, tortillas, and a Coke...all for $12.75 (a bargain for two people).  Today, Milpas did not disappoint.  As soon as we left, Eddie wanted to go back for more food :)  I love authentic Mexican food.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Oh it has been a long time since I dined there now I need to go!