Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 35: "Big Miracle"

Tonight, Sonja and I had a little girl's night out.  We had great Thai food at The Bangkok West Thai Cafe, which is a couple blocks from my house (love the yellow curry with veggies and tofu).  During dinner, we decided to see a movie.  Currently, there aren't any particularly girly movies out, so we decided to see "Big Miracle."  Neither of us knew much about the movie, except it was about whales.

I think we were both pleasantly surprised by the movie.  "Big Miracle" stars Drew Barrymore, as a Green Peace official, and John Krasinki, as a reporter.  The film is based on the 1989 book Freeing the Whales by Tom Rose, which covers Operation Breakthrough, the 1988 international effort to rescue gray whales trapped in ice near Point Barrow, Alaska.  After reading about Operation Breakthrough online, I know the movie took a number of dramatic liberties, but I really enjoyed the it anyway.  Sonja and I realized actors are always better looking than the people actually involved in true stories (they showed pictures of the real people during the credits).  By the end of the movie, I was really rooting for the whales (in real life, no one knows if the whales actually survived) and all the people involved with the rescue effort. 

No comments: