Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 36: My Testimony

Today, I taught Lesson 3: Our Testimony of Jesus Christ from The Teachings of George Albert Smith to the Relief Society women.  The lesson had a ton of great information...I didn't have near enough time to talk about everything I wanted to because we were having some great conversations.  My favorite portion of the lesson was the following story:

In his travels as a General Authority, George Albert Smith occasionally met those who thought Latter-day Saints do not believe in Jesus Christ. This misconception amazed and worried President Smith, and he tried to correct it by sharing his personal witness of the Savior.

On one occasion, in Cardston, Canada, he spoke at a Church meeting, about the life and mission of Christ. The next morning he went to the railway station to buy a train ticket.

While he waited in line, he overheard a conversation between a woman and the ticket agent. The woman mentioned the evening before she had decided to attend a Latter-day Saint worship service.

The ticket agent looked surprised. “My goodness,” she said. “You do not mean to say you went to church there."

“Yes, I did,” the woman answered. “Why not?”
The ticket agent said, “They do not even believe in Jesus Christ.”
The woman replied, “Only last night I listened to one of the elders of the Church speaking of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, and I have never heard anybody who seemed more profoundly impressed with a knowledge that Jesus was indeed the Christ, than the speaker on that occasion.”
As I prepared for the lesson, I thought a lot about my own testimony. I was pretty nervous about the lesson because I think I have a very young testimony. I've gone through periods of inactivity, but I really never stopped beleiving, unfortunately I did makee some bad choices.  I have a testimony of my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the living son of God.  I know Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon through the power of the Lord and he was the first prophet in this dispensation.  I beleive in and have felt the power of tithing in my own life.  I know Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today.  The church leadership does receive revelation for the church and leads it to the best of thier ability.  I beleive families can be sealed together forever in the temple (and I am so thankful to work there each week).  I know I am happier and more content in my life when I follow the commandments and continually think about the eternal perspective.

No comments: